We’ve all done it. We go through our mental checklist of all the stuff we need to pack. Some of us even have a paper checklist. We gather all of our stuff and try to jam it into a bag. We drive a few hours, get to the hotel and check in. It’s going to be the best. conference. ever!
You unpack your bags and then it hits you. The cellphone charger you thought you packed is still in the kitchen. It’s right next to the iPad cord. DOH!
Don’t let that happen to you this year. You are the few, the proud, the always prepared! You are super teacher! (Yeah, that was Marines + Boy/Girl Scouts). Here are a few things you might consider taking with you to the ‘D’:
- Laptop or netbook – fully charged. Don’t forget the power adapter.
- Powerstrip or a handy 3-outlet adapter. Outlets are usually in short supply both in your hotel room and in Cobo Hall. I’ve met the nicest people while sharing an outlet.
- Wireless phone and iPad charger with data cable – especially if you have an iPhone.
- A backpack. The conference tote bags are awesome, but I immediately transfer everything to my backpack. It’s much easier to manage all of your gear and swag you collect in a backpack, plus it’s much more comfortable.
- Water bottle – you will get a bit thirsty and standing in line is probably not your favorite thing to do.
- A stack of business cards. You’ll meet all kinds of cool people and you’ll want a way to track them down later. I always write what we talked about on the back of their cards.
- Your most comfortable shoes. Cobo is a big place, so keep your feet happy and you’ll be happy.
- Emergency supply of meds. During the conference 2 years ago on Thursday, I came down with the worst cold. I tried to find Nyquil within a couple of miles of the hotel for 2 hours – no dice. Lesson learned – It’s easier to bring it with you from home.
OK – that’s my list. What’s on your “Must Bring” list?